The assertion of the biodegradability and compostability of a packaging can be communicated when the packaging complies with the technical standard UNI EN ISO 13432. The biodegradability and compostability certification is issued, sometimes also together with the compostability marks, by various recognized certification bodies.
The new decree also specifies that biodegradable and compostable packaging can be collected and recycled with organic waste, only if:
1. are certified in compliance by certification bodies with the technical standard UNI EN 13432;
2. they are appropriately labeled and in particular show:
– the mention of compliance with the aforementioned European standards;
– identification elements of the producer and the certifier;
– suitable instructions for consumers to dispose of such waste in the organic waste recycling and separate collection circuit.
If a packaging complies with the aforementioned requirements, it can be collected in organic collection.
Last modified on 19/11/2021